Learn More About the Move Over Law









At its simplest, the “Move Over” law requires drivers that are approaching stationary emergency vehicles to either move over a lane or slow down. Each state has some variation on the law, and we’ll be focusing on Florida.

Also known as Florida Statute 316.126, the Sunshine State’s Move Over Law was enacted in 2002 and obligates drivers to obey emergency vehicles that send audible or visible signs both on the way to emergencies and when stationary as they deal with emergencies along the roadside.

If an emergency vehicle that is en route to an accident approaches or is being approached, drivers are required to vacate the intersection, proceed to the nearest edge of the highway, and wait until the vehicle has passed. A driver must slow down speeds to under twenty miles below the posted speed limit when they need to pass a stationary emergency vehicle on a single-lane route or if they cannot change lanes while on a two-lane roadway.

Pedestrians must also understand the Move Over Law by yielding to emergency vehicles until the vehicles have passed and otherwise sticking to the right of way. This only changes if a law enforcement officer has instructed the pedestrian to do otherwise.

This update is brought to you by Miami traffic ticket lawyer Hochman & Goldin, P.A. We can assist you with criminal traffic violations and we are ready to answer your questions and help you fight your ticket. Please call 305-665-1000 to speak about Miami civil traffic tickets.

This information is provided for educational or informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. The information is not provided in the course of an attorney-client relationship and is not intended to substitute for legal advice.

Upload Ticket for Attorney Review

    Easier for you to text? Send a photo of the citation to (305) 990-8458.


    Uploading a ticket does not create an agreement of representation by our firm. You will receive confirmation that we have accepted your case and we will contact you for payment arrangements.