How Can I Get My License Back After a DUI?

Hochman BlogDrinking and driving is a serious matter in Florida. In most instances of DUI charges, you will be responsible for paying fines and may have your vehicle impounded, and in some cases, jail time. What happens as a result of your DUI depends on the situation (such as blood alcohol content, or BAC, at the time, refusing to take a breath test, or having a minor in the vehicle). Another common consequence of a DUI in Florida is license suspension.


Many cases of DUIs will need an attorney. A Miami traffic attorney may be able to help.


In each case of a DUI, even when a license is suspended, the outcome, as to when you may be able to have your license back, differs based upon factors such as prior convictions. Florida law states that a first conviction lasts anywhere from 180 days to one year, while second convictions can run five years. If you have a third conviction, then you are facing ten years of suspension.


However, once your suspension has reached the end of its time, it is important to follow these steps to get your license back at the DMV.


  • There will be reinstatement and administrative fees. Make sure you pay for these on time.

  • You will be required to provide proof of completion of a substance abuse treatment program or DUI school if ordered by a judge.

  • Provide proof of insurance.

  • Attend all court days and carefully follow instructions or mandates from the court, such as community service hours. If you have not completed what was appointed by a judge in court, you will not be able to get your license back.


License suspension can be a hassle, but it is important to remember to follow ordinances given by a judge. If you have questions regarding other license suspension or other traffic violations, contact a red light camera violation attorney at Hochman & Goldin, P.A.


Upload Ticket for Attorney Review

    Easier for you to text? Send a photo of the citation to (305) 990-8458.


    Uploading a ticket does not create an agreement of representation by our firm. You will receive confirmation that we have accepted your case and we will contact you for payment arrangements.