Don’t Leave the Scene of an Accident

accident-1497295_1280February arrives next week, marking the beginning of “Hit and Run Awareness Month”. During this month, Florida Highway Patrol (FHP) is emphasizing to drivers the importance of remaining at the scene of an accident. Close to 25 percent of crashes in Florida are hit and run. Miami-Dade County also has the dubious honor of being number one in the state in these types of accidents.

Drivers should remember that leaving the scene of an accident is a crime that has severe consequences. For example, leaving the scene of a crash where property damage has occurred is a misdemeanor of the second degree and could lead to sixty days in jail as well as a fine of $500. If there are injuries, it becomes a felony of the second or third degree with consequences like having a license revoked for three years, spending five years in prison, and a much larger fine of $5,000. If there is a fatality, the crime becomes a first-degree felony and includes license revocation, at least four years in prison but as much as thirty, and an even larger fine of $10,000.

If you are involved in an accident, the best thing to do is remain at the scene and call for help. Besides being the law, it could save someone’s life.

This update is brought to you by Miami traffic ticket lawyer Hochman & Goldin, P.A. We can assist you with criminal traffic violations and we are ready to answer your questions and help you fight your ticket. Please call 305-665-1000 to speak about Miami civil traffic tickets.

This information is provided for educational or informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. The information is not provided in the course of an attorney-client relationship and is not intended to substitute for legal advice.

Upload Ticket for Attorney Review

    Easier for you to text? Send a photo of the citation to (305) 990-8458.


    Uploading a ticket does not create an agreement of representation by our firm. You will receive confirmation that we have accepted your case and we will contact you for payment arrangements.